The Discord app has become so popular with gamers that it needs no introduction. With millions of users around the world, Discord stands as one of the best platforms for the communication of audio, video, image, and text between users.
It is well known that Discord can be installed on PC and other platforms. But can it also be used on PS4 consoles? This article will help you set up your PlayStation 4 so that you can talk to your friends on Discord while playing your favorite games on this console.
Using Discord on PlayStation 4
Unfortunately, the Discord app is currently not compatible with the PlayStation 4 console. But from the looks of it, things could change sooner rather than later.
Discordians around the world have been submitting requests and opening dozens of topics on the official Discord Support page, asking developers to make the PS4 version of the app. Since Discord pays a lot of attention to community requests and complaints, we could get the official Discord app for PlayStation 4 and many other consoles.
Does that mean you have to wait for the app to launch to use Discord on PS4? Absolutely not.
There is still a way to use Discord on your PlayStation 4, as long as you have all the necessary gear. This might take longer to set up, but it will be worth it.
So if you want to follow the tutorial below, you need to buy a headset that has an optical cable and support for a USB connection. You will also need a mixing amplifier or similar device to switch audio between your PC and PS4. For example, you can use the A40 TR headphones with the Mixamp PRO TR, as they have proven to be a good match for these types of setups.
In addition to the two items and the accompanying cables (3.5mm male to male, 3.5mm Aux Splitter, 3.5mm to 3.5mm with volume), you will need to install Discord on your PC.
Once you have purchased all the necessary items, it is time to set everything up. Let’s start by connecting your PS4 console with your Mixamp. Here is everything you need to do.
Configure Discord on Playstation 4
- Turn on your PlayStation 4 console.
- Connect one side of the optical cable to your PlayStation 4 and the other to the back of your mix. You must make sure that your Mixamp is configured in Console mode. If you have connected everything successfully, your headphones will be assigned as a USB device. You will see a message on the screen notifying you of this.
- Navigate to your PlayStation 4 settings.
- Scroll down and select the Sound & Display option.
- Select Audio Out Settings.
- Select the digital output port and change it to optical. It is recommended that you select the Dolby 5.1 channel.
- Then select Audio Format and choose Bitstream (Dolby).
- Return to the Initial Setup screen and select Devices.
- Open audio devices.
- Make sure Headphone Out is set to Audio Chat.
Now is the time to connect everything to your PC.
- Turn on your computer.
- Connect one side of your USB cable to your mixing amp and the other to your PC. Make sure your mix amp is now in PC mode.
- Open the Discord application on your computer.
- Navigate to Settings.
- Select the Voice option.
- In the Input device section, select the headset you are using.
- Leave the Output Device set to Default.
- Click Done to finish.
You should now be able to speak freely through Discord and use your PlayStation 4 audio at the same time.
However, you will not be able to hear any other audio on your computer. This is because your PlayStation 4 is taking the main audio source into your mixing amp. Fortunately, there is an easy solution to this problem.
All you need to do is plug your 3.5 to 3.5mm cable into the speaker port of your PC and the AUX port of your mixing amplifier. Then change the Output Device from step 7 to Speakers and voila – problem solved.
Chat with Discord while playing your favorite PlayStation 4 games
With these steps, you can play your favorite PlayStation 4 games while using Discord at the same time. Setup may take a little longer, but it will be worth it.
This method will have to be sufficient until the official PlayStation 4 version of the app comes to life.
Have you managed to configure everything? What headphones and Mixamp are you using? Let us know in the comments below.